Thursday, July 10, 2008

bargain bin

Recently, I have been told by a handful of people that I am a good writer. I'm pretty sure I was blushing when I received the compliments. It was a great encouragement to hear that what comes from my noggin and through my fingers as they click on the computer keys makes sense to somebody. And with the encouragement I was thinking, "Maybe I should write a book someday." Ingrid told me to title the book Random Musing by Aunt Bee. I don't know if anyone would buy it, though.

Then today I saw something very depressing. I was at Barnes and Noble and one of the first things I walked by was the bargain bin. With tons of novels 50 to 70 percent off. I guess I could have thought, "Sweet now I can actually afford to buy a frickin' book." Books these days along with everything else are so expensive. That's not what I was thinking though. I was thinking, "Crap! That stinks!" somebody poured their heart and soul onto those pages, spending hours writing, reading and editing their work. I imagine the author walking by, picking up their book, grasping it to their chest and with a deep sigh, tears rolling down their cheeks until they soaked the pages of their literary baby, slapped with a red sticker: $2.99!

Maybe I won't be writing a book just yet...

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Amen, baby! Now you know what publishers and authors are up against! And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm writing this from one of the biggest Christian book tradeshows - ICRS in Orlando. That's even more depressing... but Solomon had it right: of the making of books there is no end. I'd encourage you to write anyway. It is therapeutic, if nothing else.